Because the world’s oldest Chinatown (established in 1594), Binondo in Manila is a widely known cultural and foodie haven. Right here, yow will discover a lot of genuine hole-in-the-wall institutions serving every thing from flashy Cantonese-themed lauriat meals to homey Hokkien-style Tsinoy cooking. Nevertheless, there are over 100+ eating places within the space, so it may be fairly overwhelming to determine the place to eat.
I’ve had the possibility to hitch a number of strolling and consuming excursions led by Ivan Man Dy of Previous Manila Walks, so I’ve sampled a number of of the most effective. Worldwide vacationers who need a information can be part of one in every of his excursions to get a way of historical past and study extra in regards to the completely different institutions.
I’ve additionally gone again to Binondo with buddies for food-tripping on varied events, with the most recent being a motorcycle/meals journey in January 2024 as an early Chinese language New 12 months Journey to see the most recent developments within the space.
For many who need to discover on their very own, your greatest useful resource can be the Huge Binondo Meals Wok map, the place Ivan lists all of the eating places, retailers and cultural factors of curiosity within the space. It’s simple sufficient to simply go round and eat right here with buddies wherever you need. Listed here are just some locations you possibly can eat in Binondo.
Initially often known as Ma Kong Mami, this institution nonetheless resembles a Nineteen Thirties eatery. It focuses on traditional mami noodles which include spring onions and asado sauce and siopao.
- Tackle: 931 Benavidez Avenue
- Suggestions: Mami noodles, siopao, siomai
- Fb: Masuki Mami Home
A humble hole-in-the-wall joint that’s gained fame for serving genuine home made dumplings and potstickers within the model of the northeast of mainland China cooking.
Every thing right here is constituted of scratch throughout the 4 corners of the partitions. Actually good dumplings particularly the kuchay with pork dumplings. Positively one in every of my favorites in Binondo. (NOTE: As of January 2024, Dong Bei Dumplings solely permits take-out and not accepts visitors for dine-in).
- Tackle: 642 E.T. Yuchengco St. cor. V. Tytana St., Binondo
- Suggestions: Pork dumplings, kuchay with pork dumping, deep-fried scallion muffins, stir-fried hen with carrots and cucumber, Tofu Burger, Xiao Lengthy Bao, Wong Lo Kat drink
- Fb: Dong Bei Dumpling
In the event you’re within the temper to remain in a spot with a contemporary vibe in Binondo, Apologue is among the latest cafes you possibly can go to. This minimalist cafe serves house-made pastries and muffins and coffee-based drinks.
Apologue is among the few cafes I noticed in Binondo that had precise bike racks, in order that’s a bonus for cyclists on espresso runs. Bestsellers right here embody the Sea Salt Latte and Tiramisu.
- Tackle: 934 Benavidez Avenue, Binondo, Manila
- Fb: Apologue
- Open each day from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Eng Bee Tin is a well-liked Chinese language deli that serves delicacies and hopia in fascinating flavors like pastillas, pandan and creamy custard. I’m a giant fan of their Crispy Mikiron.
Beginning in 2023, their flagship retailer alongside Ongpin now serves Fried Xiao Lengthy Bao however solely weekends. Count on lengthy strains! In addition they have frozen variations you possibly can prepare dinner at residence.
- Tackle: 628 Ongpin Avenue Binondo, Binondo
- Suggestions: Hopia Ube, Hopia Combi (2 in 1 taste), Mochipia (Hopia with Tikoy on the middle) , Hopia Custard and huge variants of hopia, Tikoy, Fried Xiao Lengthy Bao, Crispy Mikiron
- Fb: Eng Bee Tin
If you would like a style of wonderful eating in Binondo, one of many newer locations within the space to examine it’s Grand Cafe 1919. This restaurant is situated in a previously deserted colonial-era constructing and goals to be Binondo’s culinary jewel, providing a novel nostalgia journey. Images of previous Manila dangle throughout the restaurant’s partitions.
The restaurant serves pre-set Chinese language meals, vogue muffins, espresso and tea in addition to soup, salad, pasta, pizza, wagyu steak, dimsum, and extra.
An eatery that serves a fantastic huge choice of very flavorful vegetarian meals. The feel and taste of their dishes are superb even for non-vegetarians. Good worth for cash. In addition they sells vegan elements, sauces and frozen meat right here. It’s a great wholesome different or the most suitable choice for vegans and vegetarians.
- Tackle: 739 Ongpin St, Binondo, Manila, 1006 Metro Manila
- Suggestions: Veggie Kare-kare, veggie sisig, mushrooms
- Worth vary: P120 for combo meal with 3 viands
- Restaurant hours: Open day-after-day 7 am to 9 pm
This Volunteer Fireman’s Espresso Store focuses on consolation meals cooked Hokkien-style. All of the restaurant’s income is donated to Binondo Paco Hearth Search and Rescue Brigade.
- Tackle: 650 Ongpin cor. E.T. Yuchengco St. Binondo
- Suggestions: Kiampong (rice cooked with soy sauce, pork, veggies and topped with salted peanuts), Particular Fish Ball Soup (a light-weight soup with veggies and fishballs), Lo Tau Hu (Stir-fried tofu), Chilly kundol or Wintermelon tea, Soup#5
- Worth vary: P90-P200/dish
- Restaurant hours: Monday to Saturday 7:00 am – 8:00 pm; Sunday 7:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Fb: Cafe Mezzanine
A small family-run eatery that serves Tsinoy-style spring rolls made principally of contemporary greens. For simply P50, the lumpia which comprises crushed peanuts, seaweed and bihon bits, is surprisingly filling. Home made condiments and a candy and spicy sauce are served on the facet.
A no-frills neighborhood institution that’s been round since 1968. They serve Tsinoy “lutong bahay” specialties and different authentic recipes.
- Tackle: 637 Carvajal Avenue
- Suggestions: Ku-tsai-ah (empanada), Sate Mi noodles (pancit guisado with crispy kangkong), Deep-Fried Tofu drizzled with sate sauce, Fried lumpia
- Worth vary: P40 – P200 per dish
A staple within the Binondo meals scene, this genuine Chinatown eatery serves Cantonese model dimsum, noodles and rice meals, at budget-friendly costs. It’s additionally a great place for espresso or tea if you happen to simply need to take a break in between all the opposite meals stops or late at night time as they’re open till the early morning.
- Tackle: Benavidez St., Binondo, Manila, Metro Manila
- Suggestions: Peking duck rice, dimsum, beef noodle soup, Iced espresso
- Restaurant hours: Open on a regular basis 7 am to 2am
A preferred Cantonese dim sum place identified for his or her seafood, siomai, congee, noodles, hakaw and cheong enjoyable. They serve some fairly good desserts like steamed custard buns with salted egg yolk and mango and sago jelly.
- Tackle: 809 Salazar St., Binondo
- Suggestions: Scallop dumpling, Peking duck, Steamed Custard Buns full of Salted Egg Yolk, Mango and Sago
- Worth vary: P80-P400+ per dish
- Restaurant hours: 2:30 pm – 11:00 pm
A contemporary Chinese language cafe that serves some distinctive twists on typical Chinese language dishes. The restaurant turns right into a karaoke bar at night time.
- Tackle: 520 E.T. Yuchencgco Avenue, Binondo
- Suggestions: Awi’s Lo Bihon, Espresso Spareribs, Gabi Cake lined with scallions and greens, Kuapao
- Worth vary: P130 – P220 per dish
- Restaurant hours: Monday to Saturday 8:00 am – 11:45 pm
- Fb: Awi’s Cafe & Restaurant
Sincerity Cafe & Restaurant is a family-owned institution specializing in wholesome and inexpensive Amoy dishes. They apparently serve the best-tasting fried hen in Binondo since 1956. Other than hen, they serve different specialties like BBQ spare ribs and oyster cake.
- Tackle: 497 E.T. Yuchengco (previously Nueva St.)
- Suggestions: Sincerity Fried Rooster, BBQ Spare Ribs, Fried Oyster Cake, Fried Kikiam, Recent Lumpia, Shrimp Omelette, 8 Treasures Machang
- Worth vary: P120 – P320/dish
- Restaurant hours: Monday to Saturday 9:00 am – 9:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 – 2:00 pm
- Fb: Sincerity Cafe & Restaurant
Adventurous foodies normally make a cease at Estero Quick Meals, so named as a result of it’s situated proper subsequent to an “estero” or creek/canal. The hawker-style stalls, essentially the most well-known of which is LGA Quick Meals, supply a variety of Filipino and Chinese language dishes together with a number of unique ones like Fried Frog’s Legs, which you’ll have cooked in numerous types (adobo, butter, fried in garlic, and so on.).
- Tackle: Brgy. 297, Santa Cruz, Manila
- Suggestions: Crispy fried garlic frog’s legs (eat at your individual danger)
- Worth vary: P120 – P250 /dish
- Fb: Estero Quick Meals
This fine-dining restaurant situated in Fortunate Mall Chinatown gives quite a lot of Chinese language, seafood and Taiwanese specialties good for giant teams holding enterprise conferences or celebrating anniversaries and particular events. Meals right here is extra upscale and costly in comparison with a lot of the smaller eateries in Binondo.
- Tackle: 2/F Fortunate Chinatown Mall, Binondo
- Suggestions: Seafood with Spinach Soup, Shrimp Bombs (coated shrimp balls full of melted cheese), Dragon Boat (prawns seasoned with butter and melted cheese served with broccoli and crispy noodles), Peking Duck served 3 ways and Lapu-Lapu in Pomelo Sauce
- Worth vary: P300-P2,800/dish relying on dimension
- Fb: King Chef
Positioned on the Mezzanine degree or Ramada Manila Central, a lodge proper throughout the Binondo Church, Information Café gives Western and Asian all-day eating with themed buffets throughout weekends. The cafe is adorned with pictures of scenes of Previous Chinatown.
- Tackle: Ramada Manila Central, Ongpin cor. Quintin Paredes
- Suggestions: Buffet
- Worth vary: P595 for Emperor’s Lunch buffet (each Sunday)
- Web site: http://ramadamanilacentral.com/
A small however trendy Taiwanese cafe that makes a speciality of pungent tofu and scorching potato. They serve milk teas, dessert, fruit juices, bubble drinks, home made fruit soda and different fascinating drinks. They’ve a clear and respectable restroom in comparison with some others within the space.
- Tackle: 630, 1006 Yuchengco St, Binondo, Manila, Metro Manila
- Suggestions: Mango Cheese Milk Tea Cowl, Oreo Milk Cheese Cowl
- Restaurant hours: Open on a regular basis 1pm – 10pm
Fred’s Revolucion is an indie watering gap in Escolta that serves breakfast meals, appetizers, espresso, cocktails, mainstream native beers and some craft beers on faucet.
- Tackle: Fred’s Revolucion, G/F First United Constructing, 413 Escolta St, Sta Cruz, Manila
- Suggestions: Brewed espresso, Craft beer
- Enterprise hours: Monday to Saturday 5:00 pm to 12:00 am
Uno Seafood Wharf Palace is a Chinese language restaurant that serves family-style Chinese language delicacies and has established itself as a Binondo favourite. Very best for household celebrations and teams.
- Tackle: Uno Seafood Wharf Palace, Calvo Bldg., 270 Escolta St, Binondo
- Suggestions: Pan-fried oyster cake in Fookien model, Hong Kong Model crab meat Fuyong, assorted chilly cuts
- Restaurant hours: Monday to Sunday 11am – 2:30pm, 5:30pm – 11pm
Binondo has plenty of stalls promoting every thing from Chinese language drugs, dry items, books, toys, trinkets and contemporary fruits and delicacies. Cat not included.
Preserves and kiamoy
Conventional stalls the place you should buy completely different nuts and Chinese language preserves like plums, ginger preserves, dilis and kiamoy. stall is the one situated on the finish of Carvajal avenue, Alley Market.
There are many stalls round Binondo promoting cherries, dragonfruit, strawberries, apples, persimmons, oranges, grapes and different fruits.
A family-owned bakery that sells an assortment of Tsinoy muffins, pastries and delicacies, together with their bestseller – hopia.
Polland Hopia has been making hopia or mung bean muffins since 1966. This department sells quite a lot of hopia merchandise in addition to mooncakes, tikoy and lots of others.
Shanghai Fried Siopao
This small stall sells completely different sorts of Chinese language meals – hopia, kikiam, cuapao, however their greatest vendor is the fried siopao, a meat bun full of meat and greens. In addition they promote ma-chang, flavored sticky rice with bits of hen, pork and chestnut.
By public transport, the closest stations to Binondo are Carriedo on the LRT-11 line or Recto on the LRT-2. It’s additionally close to the Escolta Station of the Pasig River Ferry.
Binondo might be a fantastic food-trip biking vacation spot, however sadly, many institutions lack correct bike parking. In the event you’re bringing your bike to eat within the space, select streetside eating places the place you possibly can simply keep watch over your bike and produce a motorcycle lock.
Due to the visitors congestion and slim one-way streets, it’s very tough to convey a automobile and discover parking within the space. Automobile homeowners can be higher off parking in Fortunate Chinatown Mall and strolling. Loads of locals use bikes, although avenue parking could be very restricted. When you get there, Binondo is greatest explored on foot or by taking a sidecar. I actually assume they shouldn’t permit vehicles in any respect in Binondo and simply make the streets totally for strolling and biking solely.
That is additionally one of many few areas in Metro Manila the place horse-drawn carriages or kalesas are nonetheless broadly used to get round.
- I extremely advocate you simply take the practice or ferry to get right here as an alternative of taking a automobile to save lots of you the trouble of discovering parking alongside the slim streets. You’ll be strolling more often than not when you get there anyway.
- Plan your route beforehand to maximise the variety of eating places you possibly can attempt throughout your meals journey.
- If you wish to avoid wasting cash on drinks, convey your individual water bottle.
- Carry reusable containers so you possibly can take-out of meals!
- Put on easy, breathable garments and cozy strolling footwear. Go away the jewellery, fancy garments and designer luggage at residence.
- Hold your bag safe and take additional care of your valuables particularly at instances when the place is additional crowded (Chinese language New 12 months, and so on.)
- Binondo is greatest explored with buddies so you possibly can share quite a lot of dishes. and have somebody to separate prices with.