We’ve put collectively a choice of enjoyable San Diego Lunar New 12 months occasions value attending for many who wish to rejoice the 12 months of the Dragon.
Lunar New 12 months (or Chinese language New 12 months if you’re of Chinese language heritage) is a vacation acknowledged in China, Vietnam, Korea, Mongolia, Singapore, and Tibet and by many emigrants from everywhere in the world from these Southeast Asian international locations.
The date is predicated on the lunisolar calendar, which is February 10, 2024, and people born on this zodiac yr are mentioned to be sensible, naturally fortunate, and assured.
The vacation is extremely vital in our dwelling as my daughter is proud to have been born in Hong Kong through the 12 months of the Golden Pig. It’s by far an important celebration there, lasting 15 days, although usually solely three of these days are public holidays. Throughout that point, the entire household usually gathers collectively to rejoice the lunar new yr with occasions like conventional performances and different enjoyable actions.
With out additional ado, here’s a record of Lunar New 12 months San Diego occasions — prepare to find enjoyable actions you received’t wish to miss.
Lunar New 12 months Charity Gala at Jasmine Seafood
The San Diego United Lions Membership’s Lunar New 12 months Charity Gala is an annual occasion that many in San Diego sit up for. Proceeds help the San Diego United Lions Membership charitable tasks worldwide.
- Friday, February 2, 2024
- Glad Hour: 5 p.m.-6 p.m.; Program 6 p.m. and Dinner 6:30 p.m.
- Purchase Tickets: $65 or $600 (Desk of 10)
The favored dim sum restaurant additionally often hosts lion dances all through the month, that are enjoyable for households. We deliver lai see (conventional crimson envelopes with greenback payments inside) for good luck and to help the coed lion troupe and their group.
Lion Dances at Jasmine Seafood
The favored Cantonese restaurant additionally has a number of days the place diners can take pleasure in lion dances throughout dim sum lunch and dinner service. We’ve been, and it’s fairly enjoyable. Nevertheless, through the dances, foods and drinks service is stopped, so simply be ready for that.
- Dates and instances for 2024 are TBD.
Annual San Diego Chinese language New 12 months Meals and Cultural Honest
The annual San Diego Chinese language New 12 months Honest hosted by the Chinese language Consolidated Benevolent Affiliation spans two days. It’s held on Third Avenue and J Road in downtown San Diego’s outdated Chinatown.
Attendees store handicrafts, eat tons of conventional meals and luxuriate in reside leisure starting from acrobats to conventional Chinese language music performances. You’ll even be handled to a lantern parade and kids’s crafts.
- Saturday, February 24, and Sunday, February 25
- 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday
- Free to enter
Annual San Diego Tet Pageant
This annual Tet pageant hosts a number of competitions, together with a Miss Vietnam San Diego pageant, a pho consuming contest, a Step Up Dance competitors, and children’ alternative to share their data about Vietnamese tradition.
Company also can sit up for Vietnamese meals, carnival rides and video games, firecrackers, a children’ artwork contest, Taiko drum performances, and lion dances. The placement is Mira Mesa Neighborhood Park.
- February 16-18, 2024
- 5-10 p.m. (Friday), 11 a.m.–10 p.m. (Saturday) and 11 a.m.–6 or 9 p.m. (Sunday)
- Free to observe
Home of China’s Chinese language New 12 months Pageant & Dinner
Be part of Home of China, a part of the Home of Pacific Relations Worldwide Cottages in Balboa Park, for a Chinese language New 12 months celebration full with dancing lions, Chinese language performances, Chinese language meals, crafts, calligraphy, and extra.
They’ll additionally host a separate Chinese language New 12 months dinner at Jasmine Seafood with reside leisure reminiscent of lion dances and a drawing. Proceeds profit the Home of China and the Chinese language Faculty of San Diego.
San Diego Lunar New 12 months Pageant
The place else in San Diego in February can you discover dragons, lion dances, firecrackers, reside music and performances, arts and crafts, and extra?
On the San Diego Lunar New 12 months Pageant, after all. This free and family-friendly occasion placed on by the Little Saigon Basis of San Diego is again this yr at Officer Jeremy Henwood Memorial Park, and they’re prepared to herald the lunar new yr with fashion.
- February 9–11, 2024
- 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. on Friday, February ninth; 11 a.m.-10 p.m. on Saturday, February tenth; 11 a.m.-8 p.m. on Sunday, February eleventh
Lunar New 12 months on the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park
The San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park welcome the entire household to rejoice the nice fortune of the brand new lunar yr on the zoo. Tackle crafts, interact wildlife care specialists, take pleasure in Flavors of Asia, or take a behind-the-scenes tour to find out about iconic species just like the snow leopard and different unimaginable wildlife.
A go to to the San Diego Zoo can be an funding in future generations. Your go to helps groundbreaking conservation efforts for endangered wildlife worldwide, reminiscent of orangutan households, and combats unlawful trafficking of orchids and different endangered wildlife.
GET MY EXCLUSIVE SAN DIEGO ZOO DISCOUNT!
I’ve one of the best last worth on San Diego Zoo tickets that’s out there to most people, with no membership required. For that reason, we will’t publish the promo code on-line, however you may get it by textual content or e mail. The worth is $66/grownup and $56/youngster (ages 3–11) — all taxes and costs included!
*By texting the phrase SDZOO to 1-833-490-0799 you comply with obtain automated promotional messages with safe my deeper ticket low cost and this settlement isn’t a situation of any buy. Msg and information charges might apply. 2 msg/mo. Reply STOP to cancel. Learn my full privateness coverage.
Storytellers of San Diego: “12 months of the Dragon”
Head over to the San Diego Chinese language Historic Museum to listen to storytellers Jim Dieckmann, Aunt Li-Anne, and Mindy Donner share tales of dragons and different attention-grabbing historic narratives, together with the fishing traditions that introduced many Chinese language to San Diego. Applicable for all ages.
- January 27, 2024
- 2–3 p.m
- Free for museum members, visitors with bought museum admission, and kids below 12.
Library Lunar New 12 months Celebrations
Many native libraries have their very own lunar celebrations for the entire household. Some examples embrace (there are such a lot of extra):
- Poway Library: 12 months of the Dragon celebration with cultural performances, crafts, and balloon animals. Sunday, February 18, 1:30–3:30 p.m.
- Del Mar Library: A efficiency by CK Lion Dancers. Friday, February 9, 11:30 a.m.– 12 p.m.
- San Marcos Library: Lunar New 12 months craft for households. Tuesday, February 6, 5–6 p.m.
- Carmel Valley Library: Lunar New 12 months celebration with crafts, refreshments, and a lion dance efficiency. Saturday, February 3, 2024.
- Level Loma/Hervey Library: Get pleasure from a studying of “Bringing within the New 12 months” by Grace Lin and “Lanterns and Firecrackers” by Jonny Zucker, plus a craft afterward. All geared towards ages 3–5. Thursday, February 8, 10:30–11:30 a.m.
Eating places to Have a good time the Lunar New 12 months
Why not take pleasure in a scrumptious Asian meal in celebration of the Lunar New 12 months? Listed below are a couple of San Diego eating places to contemplate except for Jasmine Seafood already talked about above.
- Emerald Chinese language Delicacies: They often have particular Chinese language New 12 months menus for a la carte ordering or set menus for teams. And let’s not neglect the karaoke room you possibly can reserve for a small group.
- Haidilao San Diego: Head to Haidilao, a well-known Chinese language sizzling pot restaurant from Sichuan province. Final yr once we went throughout Chinese language New 12 months, performers (like conventional face altering) had been handing out lai see to visitors.
- Golden Island Dim Sum: This Mira Mesa hotspot can be well-liked for Chinese language New 12 months in San Diego as they usually have lion dances.
Have a good time Chinese language New 12 months on Your Personal at House
Chinese language New 12 months is a vital vacation in our home. The truth is, I’m headed to 99 Ranch for our traditional stash of sweet and dried fruit, a part of a standard eight-part Tray of Togetherness to snack from all through the season (I’ll share particulars for what to incorporate shortly).
You may also rejoice at dwelling with crafts. Along with the assets supplied within the hyperlink to the Japanese Friendship Backyard above, I’ve straightforward directions for make a paper lantern and a listing of free Chinese language New 12 months printables.
You may also use the chance to depart bowls of citrus on the desk for the household to eat and even put Chinese language New 12 months citrus timber on both sides of your step.
It’s additionally enjoyable to place collectively Chinese language New 12 months crimson envelopes for the youngsters in your life. You’ll be able to order crimson envelopes on Amazon or discover them at markets like 99 Ranch.
Kung Hei Fats Choy!
How do you rejoice Lunar New 12 months in San Diego? If there are actions that I’ve missed, please depart them within the feedback.