My coastal neighborhood, La Jolla, is thought for its rugged shoreline, upscale boutiques, and nice eating. We even have some of the photographed locations in San Diego, La Jolla Cove, and the resident seals and sea lions that folks drive in particularly to see.
Our location is usually a little complicated for vacationers planning a trip or residents driving in for a go to. It is because there are a number of methods to get right here, trafficky instances that may make your journey for much longer than it must be, and the downtown space is 15-20 minutes from the I-5 freeway regardless of the space being solely about 4 miles.
This information for the way to get to La Jolla covers numerous transportation choices, together with driving instructions, airport transportation, and public transit, with the intention to have a (hopefully) easy journey to our Jewel on the Pacific Ocean.
Attending to La Jolla from San Diego Worldwide Airport
San Diego Worldwide Airport (SAN), situated roughly 15 miles south of La Jolla, is the closest main airport. So, you’d fly into SAN and both lease a automotive or take a taxi, automotive service, or rideshare to La Jolla. I’ll go over every one shortly, however the drive ought to take about 25 minutes, relying on the place in La Jolla you’re going.
Upon arriving on the San Diego Worldwide Airport, you can take one of many free shuttles out of your terminal to the Rental Automobile Heart on the sting of the airport (it’s not inside strolling distance).
After getting your rental automotive, plug your La Jolla vacation spot into your GPS. As you’ll see beneath, there are a number of routes you may take from right here, and the very best one will depend upon visitors. The Waze app is excellent for navigating this.
Taxis are often all the time ready on the transportation plazas exterior every terminal. As you exit the luggage declare space, comply with the indicators resulting in the transportation plazas throughout the road from the terminals. A employees member needs to be there that will help you get a taxi.
Rideshare Companies (Uber, Lyft)
The airport has designated rideshare pickup places at every terminal. These are often marked clearly with indicators.
- Terminal 1: For Terminal 1, the designated pickup space for rideshares is situated on the transportation plaza. After amassing your baggage, exit the terminal and comply with the indicators to the “Rideshare” pickup space.
- Terminal 2: At Terminal 2, the rideshare pickup location is barely completely different. After exiting the luggage declare space, use the pedestrian crosswalk to succeed in the transportation island. The rideshare pickup space is marked with indicators and is separate from the taxi and shuttle areas.
Bear in mind to rearrange your journey after you have collected your baggage and are able to exit the terminal.
Public Transportation from SAN Diego Airport to La Jolla
All the time examine Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) Journey Planner and bus numbers earlier than you go to ensure you are on the quickest route and get on the correct bus! You’ll be able to take public transportation to La Jolla, however it’s a multi-stop effort. Nonetheless, it has gotten simpler, particularly for UC San Diego college students, due to the opening of an MTS trolley cease within the UTC space.
- MTS Route 992 (Goes from the Airport to Downtown):
- You’ll be able to board the MTS Route 992 bus from the San Diego Worldwide Airport, which is a direct service connecting the airport to downtown San Diego.
- This bus stops at a number of downtown places, together with the Santa Fe Depot, a serious transit hub.
- Switch to a La Jolla-bound Bus or the MTS Trolley:
- When you arrive downtown, you have got a few choices to proceed to La Jolla.
- Choice 1: Take an MTS bus that goes to La Jolla. MTS Route 30 is common because it travels from downtown San Diego by means of Outdated City and Pacific Seashore earlier than reaching La Jolla.
- Choice 2: Use the UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley to get nearer to La Jolla. You’ll be able to board the trolley on the America Plaza Trolley Station (close to Santa Fe Depot) and get off on the UTC Transit Heart. From there, you may take a brief bus journey or a rideshare to succeed in the downtown space of La Jolla (known as The Village).
- Closing Leg to La Jolla:
Driving Instructions to the La Jolla Cove Space
A number of driving routes can get you to La Jolla, and which one you select is dependent upon visitors. (We selected our home partially as a result of we have now three straightforward methods to get out and in of La Jolla that take about the identical period of time.)
Two main arteries, the 52 Freeway and Torrey Pines Highway can get clogged with visitors throughout weekday night rush hour and on summer time weekends. For the sake of ease, I’ll clarify the way to get to La Jolla Cove within the downtown space and from right here you’ll shortly determine the place the principle retailers and eating places are on Prospect and adjoining streets.
- From the North (Los Angeles, Orange County, and North County San Diego): Make your approach to the I-5 South, the principle interstate freeway connecting LA to San Diego. Take Exit 28 for La Jolla Village Drive. Flip proper onto La Jolla Village Drive, then left onto Torrey Pines Highway. Comply with Torrey Pines Highway because it winds all the way down to the coast. Flip proper onto Prospect Avenue, after which veer proper on to Coast Blvd. La Jolla Cove shall be in your proper.
- From the East (Clairemont and Santee): You’ll primarily use CA-52 West. The freeway will merge into Torrey Pines Highway, which is able to take you straight into the Village. Flip proper onto Prospect Avenue, after which veer proper to Coast Blvd. La Jolla Cove shall be in your proper.
- From the South (Downtown and Coronado): Discover your approach to Interstate 5 (I-5) North. Look ahead to indicators for CA-52 West. This shall be after you move the Mission Bay space. Take the exit onto CA-52 West in direction of La Jolla. The freeway will merge into Torrey Pines Highway, which is able to take you straight into the Village. Flip proper onto Prospect Avenue, after which veer proper on to Coast Blvd. La Jolla Cove shall be in your proper.
Taking Public Transportation to La Jolla from San Diego County Stops
San Diego’s Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) presents complete bus and trolley providers. We already coated the way to get to La Jolla from the airport utilizing public transportation so relying on the place you’re coming from the steps could also be related. Routes, instances and bus numbers change so be sure you use the MTS Journey Planner earlier than you journey.
MTS Trolley to La Jolla
The UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley is a handy choice to arrive close to Westfield UTC Mall and UC San Diego from numerous places in San Diego, together with the downtown space and the Mexico border at San Ysidro.
Exit on the “Voigt Drive” station for closest entry to La Jolla. From right here, you may take a brief bus journey or rideshare to succeed in the guts of La Jolla.
Bus Companies to La Jolla
Sure, you may take the bus to La Jolla. Many individuals do really. These are the very best choices.
- Route 30: As you may see, this is among the hottest routes for attending to La Jolla. It travels from Downtown San Diego by means of Outdated City San Diego and Pacific Seashore earlier than reaching La Jolla. The route covers key areas in La Jolla, together with La Jolla Shores and the UC San Diego campus.
- Route 41: The 41 bus runs from the Vogue Valley Transit Heart by means of the Hillcrest and Clairemont neighborhoods earlier than reaching UC San Diego in La Jolla.
- Route 101: Operated by the North County Transit District (NCTD) however connecting with MTS providers, Route 101 travels alongside the coast from Oceanside to UC San Diego, passing by means of Del Mar, Solana Seashore, Encinitas, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and La Jolla.
- Route 201/202 SuperLoop: These routes serve the world across the UC San Diego campus and embody stops in elements of La Jolla. The SuperLoop is beneficial for getting across the UCSD space and close by purchasing facilities.
Ideas for getting bus or trolley tickets: The best approach to pay for a bus ticket in San Diego is through the use of PRONTO. PRONTO is the cost system for the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and North County Transit District (NCTD). You should use a PRONTO card or the PRONTO app to pay your fare. Both possibility lets you load funds onto the cardboard or app after which faucet the cardboard or scan the app when boarding the bus. In any other case, you want actual change if paying money. You should use PRONTO on the trolley’s as nicely. Bus tickets for adults value $2.50 per method and $6 for an all-day move!
For these coming from North County San Diego, the Coaster commuter practice is a scenic and cheaper possibility than Amtrak, which follows an analogous route. Plus, you may skip some freeway visitors relying on the time of day.
You’ll be able to board the Coaster from cities like Oceanside, Carlsbad, and Encinitas, disembarking on the Sorrento Valley station. From Sorrento Valley, take MTS bus routes like 921 or 972 to succeed in UCSD, then swap to one of many La Jolla-bound buses. Notice that the Coaster doesn’t cease at Sorrento Valley on a regular basis so relying in your practice or day of the week it’s possible you’ll take it to Outdated City and use the instructions beneath.
Amtrak Prepare to La Jolla by way of Outdated City Station
Touring by Amtrak to La Jolla is a scenic and handy possibility. The closest cease is Outdated City Transit Heart (sure, it’s adjoining to Outdated City San Diego). That is the one we use once we take the practice to Disneyland or Los Angeles.
Reaching Outdated City Station by Amtrak
Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner service, which runs alongside the California coast, stops on the Outdated City Transit Heart in San Diego. (Vacationers heading to La Jolla may additionally use the Solana Seashore Station, although it takes a bit longer.) That is the place you’d get off.
From Outdated City Station to La Jolla
When you arrive on the Outdated City Transit Heart, you have got actually two choices to succeed in La Jolla:
- MTS Buses: Route 30 supplies a direct connection to La Jolla, making stops in key areas together with UCSD and La Jolla Shores.
- Rideshare or Taxi: The drive from Outdated City to La Jolla sometimes takes about 15-20 minutes, relying on visitors and the place you’re going. I often take an Uber, however there are additionally typically taxis hovering across the station.
In abstract, most individuals will self-drive or take Uber to get to La Jolla from San Diego airport and different locations across the County. Our MTS public transportation system is getting higher and can also be a viable possibility for residents and vacationers that takes longer however is cheap. It’s also possible to take a look at my 1-Day La Jolla Itinerary, high issues to do in La Jolla, and greatest locations keep in La Jolla.