The Drakensberg Mountains are undoubtedly one of the crucial spectacular locations to go to in South Africa. It’s identified for its dramatic and awe-inspiring surroundings and wealth of unbelievable outside actions.
Divided into three elements: North, Central, and South, every area have one thing distinctive to supply. When you’re right here, it is exhausting to not fall in love with the Drakensberg.
Since there’s a lot to see and do across the space, we’ve put collectively the final word information to the highest issues to do within the Drakensberg Mountains that can assist you plan your subsequent journey.
The place Is Drakensberg Mountain?
The Drakensberg Mountain Vary is situated in South Africa. The mountain vary is located primarily within the province of Kwa-Zulu Natal but additionally extends into the Jap Cape, Mpumalanga, and the Free State. It additionally borders Lesotho.
Greatest Locations To Go to In Drakensberg
Listed below are one of the best locations to go to within the Drakensberg:
Cathedral Peak is located close to the northeast border of Lesotho. It is one of the crucial recognizable landmarks within the Drakensberg Mountains and is thought for its unbelievable waterfall, mountaineering trails, and towering mountain peaks.
The Champagne Valley
The Champagne Valley is located within the Central Drakensberg area, in between Cathkin Peak and the Champagne Fort.
There are numerous sporting facilities, golf programs, mountaineering trails, and different actions such because the Falcon Ridge Rehabilitation Heart for rescued birds the place children can find out about these critters. It is also identified for being the house of the enduring Drakensberg Boys Choir.
The Giants Fort Nature Reserve within the Central Drakensberg is best-known for its historical rock artwork by the San individuals. There are just a few locations to see this unbelievable artwork type in Giants Fort, however one space that we suggest visiting is the Essential Caves Museum. Not all the things right here is archaic although, a restaurant and well-stocked bar additionally wait.
The world can also be dwelling to a spread of wildlife and mountaineering trails and is nice for mountaineering and trout fishing.
The Royal Natal Nationwide Park
Situated within the Northern Drakensberg, the Royal Natal Nationwide Park is an space dwelling to one of the crucial iconic landmarks in the entire Drakensberg area, the Amphitheatre.
The Royal Natal Nationwide Park additionally provides a wealth of scenic hikes, horse driving, and a golf course. It’s additionally dwelling to one of many tallest waterfalls on the earth, the Tugela Falls.
Crossing via the mountains in Underberg, Kwazulu-Natal, and the Mokhotlong in Lesotho, the Sani Move is a legendary route not for the faint-hearted. It earned the fame because the hardest 4×4 route in South Africa and travels upward over 9,400 toes in underneath 9 miles.
Tip: Click on right here to ebook a guided 4×4 day journey to Sani Move if you happen to’re not snug navigating the go by yourself.
High Issues To Do In Drakensberg Mountains (North)
Listed below are the highest issues to do within the Northern Drakensberg mountains:
Areas In The Northern Drakensberg Mountains
The most well-liked areas within the Northern Drakensberg area are the Royal Nationwide Park, the Amphitheatre, Mont-aux-Sources, and Singati Valley. You’ll additionally discover the Rugged Glen Nature Reserve and the Ifidi Mnweni & Ntonjelana valleys.
Northern Drakensberg Climbing Trails
Tugela Gorge Chain Ladder Hike: The Tugela Gorge Chain Ladder Hike is believed to be one of the crucial spectacular hikes in the entire space. It begins on the Gorge Automotive park and stretches via the gorge. It is a reasonable day hike that takes about 5 hours to finish a method.
Alongside the way in which, you’ll uncover smaller waterfalls, swimming pools, and vistas. The last word prize of this trek, although, is the Tugela Falls themselves.
Policeman’s Helmet Hike: This 4-hour reasonable hike begins on the Gorge Automotive Park. It is a 3-mile hike with an elevation of about 1115-feet. As you ascend up the path, you’ll uncover some unbelievable views and landmarks.
Then there are extra reasonable walks that may take as much as six hours. These walks embrace a 7-mile hike via the Sigubudu Ridge and Rugged Glen Nature Reserve to counterpoint this San artwork website.
Mont-aux Sources Hike: If you happen to’re searching for a problem, then take the grueling 5-hour trek as much as the best level within the Drakensberg – The Mont-aux-Sources. This peak rises up at 10,768-feet.
Whereas it’s fairly the problem, when you make it to the highest, you’re rewarded with unequalled views of the entire Drakensberg Mountain vary.
Different Drakensberg Actions Situated In The North
- Sigubudu Rock Artwork: There are two choices to get to the Sigubudu Rock Artwork. The one is a brief 1-hour hike that takes you alongside Otto’s Stroll via the Sigubudu Valley.
High Issues To Do In Drakensberg Mountains (Central) – Most Common Space For First-Timers!
Listed below are just a few locations and actions to take a look at if you happen to’re visiting the Drakensberg for the primary time:
Areas Included In The Central Drakensberg Mountains
The principle Central Drakensberg space is made up of Cathedral Peak, Cathkin Park, Champagne Fort, Large’s Fort Sport Reserve, and the Mlambonja Wilderness Space.
It additionally contains areas resembling Ndumendi, Organ Pipes, Nedema Gorge, Mdedelo Wilderness Space, Monk’s Cowl, and Injasuti.
Central Drakensberg Hikes
- The Sphinx Hike: The Sphinx Hike is a reasonable stroll of simply over 1 mile and takes about one hour to finish a method. It begins at Monks Cowl and makes its approach as much as “The Sphinx,” an fascinating rock formation within the mountains. Alongside the way in which, the path passes the gorgeous Crystal Falls.
- Blindmans Nook Hike: The Blindmans Nook Hike is a difficult 5-hour path close to Okhahlamba. It’s a round route that’s fairly uphill. It begins at Monk’s Cowl Cap and takes you previous Crystal Falls, The Sphinx, the Breakfast Steam, after which as much as Blindmans Nook.
From there you’ll get to see different landmarks resembling Cathkin Peak, Sterkhorn, and the Champagne Fort.
- Sterkspruit Falls: One other brief and simple hike on this space is the Sterkspruit Falls hike. It begins at Monks Cowl, which then takes you right down to the majestic Sterkspruit Falls earlier than returning to the start line. It takes about 2 hours to finish in whole.
- Nandi and Sterkspruit Falls: This hike is a 4-mile round path that takes you to each Nandi Falls and the Sterkspruit Falls. It begins on the Monk Cowl and takes you previous vistas, smaller waterfalls, and swimming pools.
- Hlatikulu Forest Hike: One other strategy to attain the Sterkspruit and Nandi Falls is thru the Hlatikulu Forest Hike. It takes you right down to the Sterkspruit River and passes each falls via the tranquil Hlatikulu Forest. It takes about 4 hours to finish a method.
- Essential Caves Hike: This can be a brief 1-hour hike from the Large’s Fort camp. It takes you to a bushmen cave the place you may uncover rock artwork and a bushman mannequin scene, highlighting the lifetime of a bushman household.
- World’s View: The World’s View hike is a reasonable 3-hour hike that crosses the Bannerman Bridge and Sugarloaf Kop. When you get to the highest, it can really feel as if you happen to’re on prime of the world with matching views to go along with it.
- Bergview: This path is a brief 4-mile that takes 4 hours to finish and takes you as much as the favored Bergview viewpoint. From right here, you’ll have unparalleled views of Large’s Fort, Cathkin Peak, and different landmarks.
Different Drakensberg Actions Situated In The Central Area
- Uncover Rock Artwork at Essential Caves: The principle caves are one of the best place to find the San rock work. There’s even a duplicate of how the San individuals lived.
- Drakensberg Boys Choir: Uncover the angelic voices of one in all South Africa’s most well-known choirs via one in all their performances.
- Drakensberg Ballooning: Soar excessive over the realm and see it from a unique perspective with a scorching air balloon experience.
- Horse Using: One other nice strategy to uncover the Drakensberg is to trot via varied trails on horseback and take within the great surroundings.
- Cathedral Peak Wine Property: After a day of exploring, bask in a high quality collection of wines via a wine tasting on the Cathedral Peak Wine Property.
High Issues To Do In Drakensberg Mountains (South)
Listed below are the highest issues to do within the southern Drakensberg Mountains.
Areas Included In The Southern Drakensberg Mountains
The southern areas within the Drakensberg Mountains embrace The Mkhomazi Wilderness Space, Highmoor, Kamberg, Vergelegen, Sani Move, Backyard Fort, Satan’s Knuckles, Bushman’s Nek, and the Sehlabathebe Nationwide Park.
Southern Drakensberg Hike Trails
- Sani Move: Whereas the Sani Move Drive is difficult, the hike is really not for the faint-hearted. It’s a difficult 9-mile hike that may both be finished in a day or as an in a single day hike. As a day hike, it takes about 8 hours to finish a method. It is lengthy and steep, however when you get to the highest, you’ll really feel as if you happen to’ve conquered the world.
- Cedric’s Pool Hike: The Cedric’s pool hike is a brief 2-hour hike from Bushman’s Nek Camp. It passes via small waterfalls and swimming pools earlier than arriving on the foremost pool, which is the spotlight of the hike.
- Different Hikes: There are many different hikes to find within the southern space. These take you previous waterfalls and peaks. You may as well discover varied rock artwork work within the caves.
Different Drakensberg Actions Situated In The South
- Self-Drives: The southern Drakensberg Space is a good place to find by yourself. There are many self-drive trails that you may discover in a day.
Closing Ideas On High Issues To Do In The Drakensberg Mountains
The Drakensberg Mountains are an extremely stunning and various space. With three areas all providing one thing completely different, it is a no-brainer that the Drakensberg needs to be in your South Africa itinerary.
Be ready to be amazed by vistas, waterfalls, difficult hikes, and caves that share perception into the lives of the San individuals.